Leadership -The most influential factor in a person’s decision to stay or leave a job is the immediate leader. This person influences the relationship that they have with the job retention factors.
Three key behaviours can greatly impact the individual’s relationship to the remaining four factors. Trust, recognition and support:
- Is there a high trust relationship with an authority figure, generally the line manager?
- Does the leader show interest in the individual’s success and satisfaction?
- Do both parties communicate openly and freely?
- Does the leader provide timely and constructive feedback?
- Does the leader offer support?